Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Personal Reflection Four.


How does interpersonal communication relate to my life? 
The answer is in a lot of different ways. 
When does interpersonal communication affect my life?
The answer is every single day. 

Throughout every day of my life, I communicate with various types of people, which help in creating very different types of interpersonal communication. Five out of seven days a week I attend classes, where I am constantly confronted with interpersonal communication with my professors. During my classes, I play the role of a student while my professors play the role of the teachers. I am expected to pay attention and take notes, while my professors are expected to teach the lesson of the day. 
Another type of interpersonal communication that I encounter on a day to day basis is friendship. Throughout the day, I carry on several conversations with my friends. It is common for me to run into one of my friends on the mall or in the cafeteria. One specific example of a friendship based interpersonal communication happened to me today. As good friends do, one of my best friends came to me today asking for advice. Obviously, being good girlfriends, she came to me asking about this boy she knows and what she should do about their current situation. This type of interpersonal communication involves trust and respect between the two people involved in the communicating. By asking for my advice, I was able to tell that she trusted me and respected me and the answer I gave her. 
There are various other types of interpersonal communication that occur in everyday life. Some examples are between coworkers, roommates, classmates, teammates, siblings, parent/child, boyfriend/girlfriend, and employer/employee. All of these examples represent the broad spectrum communication encompasses. All of these interactions are especially important in life and as a means of communicating. EVen though the examples mentioned were all forms of verbal communication, any of these examples can portray nonverbal communication, such as note taking, eye contact, or high fives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment