Monday, January 26, 2009

Personal Reflection

Previously taking Introductions to Communication Competence 152, I have already learned the importance of public speaking and the ways to be an effective speaker. Reading about Aristotle's five ways to be an effective speaker (invention, disposition, style, memory, delivery) did not surprise me. Taking a public speaking course, I was able to learn about these five aspects and implement them into personal speeches and listen to my classmates implement them in their own speeches. When stumbling upon these five aspects, I learned was specifically interested in the aspect of delivery. Previously learning about it, I only knew why it was important to have a good delivery and and how to do it; however, now I understand the history of delivery and elocution. 
When Athens switched to a democratic government, the citizens had to learn to speak eloquently and efficiently to communicate their ideas. It became extremely important to teach the commoners to speak with grace, intelligence, and poise. If they were able to come across as educated and intelligent, the audience was more likely to take them seriously and consider what they had to say. The manner in which communication occurred became extremely important and set the standards for today's public speakers, businessmen, and orators. Most careers require an interview process of some sorts, and speaking eloquently helps represent people as intelligent, serious, and interested in that specific career. 
After graduating from college, I will have to interview for medical school and for a job as a physician assistant some day. It is important for me to carry myself with eloquence and poise during my interviews. If I were to sit through the interview and use words, such as "umm" and "like," the entire time, I probably would be taken less seriously. Learning the importance of communication and the role eloquence plays could help me replace those word fillers and speak more smoothly and efficiently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment